About Carney's Community
Carney’s Community provides Wandsworth and Lambeth’s youth with a variety of services that aim to stamp out offending and anti-social behaviour, prevent reoffending and improve opportunities, for the individuals and their communities. It is based in Battersea, close to some of the most deprived and underprivileged areas in the locality. Carney’s Community uses both boxing and one-to-one mentoring. Many who attend come on a voluntary basis, though social or community workers refer a significant number.
We are currently very oversubscribed and cannot accept any mentoring/keywork referrals. However, we are accepting referrals for disadvantaged young people to engage in boxing sessions.
We have a social enterprise "Carney's Coaches" where we deliver group boxing sessions and personal training sessions to members of the public. We also have another social enterprise "Battersea Bikes" which provides basic bike maintenance and sells refurbished bikes. We welcome people who would like to use these services.
This organisation’s ground breaking services to hundreds of youngsters include:
• Universal boxing fitness sessions on a casual basis.
• Targeted Boxing Sessions for at-risk/high risk pupils.
• Offers 'fit and fed' sessions where free food is provided to participants who otherwise would return home to no meal.
• Drop-in activities such as table tennis, pool, homework clubs and CV writing.
• Activity-based mentoring to those displaying negative behaviour.
• Intensive one-to-one mentoring support. From 2 to 10 hours-plus per week, depending on the person’s level of need and risk. Run in conjunction with all other agencies involved with the individual.
• All mentoring is ‘Long term, consistent and with unconditional, empathetic support’.
• Engagement in employment help. Participants who have showed positive change can be trained for a range of employable skills, in boxing, sport in general or other fields.